1. a compartment in a stable where a single animal is confined and fed
2. small area set off by walls for special use
3. a booth where articles are displayed for sale
4. a malfunction in the flight of an aircraft in which there is a sudden loss of lift that results in a downward plunge;"the plane went into a stall and I couldn't control it"
5. small individual study area in a library
6. a tactic used to mislead or delay
1. postpone doing what one should be doing;"He did not want to write the letter and procrastinated for days"
2. come to a stop;"The car stalled in the driveway"
3. deliberately delay an event or action;"she doesn't want to write the report, so she is stalling"
4. put into, or keep in, a stall;"Stall the horse"
5. experience a stall in flight, of airplanes
6. cause an airplane to go into a stall
7. cause an engine to stop;"The inexperienced driver kept stalling the car"