1. (physiology) the gradual lengthening of inactive muscle or muscle fibers
2. (physics) the exponential return of a system to equilibrium after a disturbance
3. a state of refreshing tranquility
4. an occurrence of control or strength weakening;"the relaxation of requirements""the loosening of his grip""the slackening of the wind"
5. freedom from activity (work or strain or responsibility);"took his repose by the swimming pool"
6. a method of solving simultaneous equations by guessing a solution and then reducing the errors that result by successive approximations until all the errors are less than some specified amount
7. the act of making less strict