1. make ready or suitable or equip in advance for a particular purpose or for some use, event, etc;"Get the children ready for school!""prepare for war""I was fixing to leave town after I paid the hotel bill"
2. prepare for eating by applying heat;"Cook me dinner, please""can you make me an omelette?""fix breakfast for the guests, please"
3. to prepare verbally, either for written or spoken delivery;"prepare a report""prepare a speech"
4. arrange by systematic planning and united effort;"machinate a plot""organize a strike""devise a plan to take over the director's office"
5. prepare (someone) for a future role or function;"He is grooming his son to become his successor""The prince was prepared to become King one day""They trained him to be a warrior"
6. create by training and teaching;"The old master is training world-class violinists""we develop the leaders for the future"
7. lead up to and soften by sounding the dissonant note in it as a consonant note in the preceding chord;"prepare the discord in bar 139"
8. undergo training or instruction in preparation for a particular role, function, or profession;"She is training to be a teacher""He trained as a legal aid"